Monday, June 23, 2008

reviews


http://www.library.jhu.edu/bin/b/f/oldbooks.jpg


2009





Reviews

The Shack/La Cabaña by William P. Young
My Antonia by Willa Cather*
A View of Jerusalem by Erin Sheely Tolman
Love and Other Natural Disasters by Holly Shumas
Moment of Truth in Iraq by Michael Yon*
Home Girl by Judith Matloff
Bitter Sweets by Roopa Farooki
Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet
Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek
Ben's Trumpet by Rachel Isadora
Visiting Langston by Willie Perdomo
Pet Show by Ezra Jack Keats
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak*
Forever Lily by Beth Nonte Russell
The Misadventures of Oliver Booth by David Desmond
The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Blonde Roots by Bernardine Evaristo
Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Walking The Choctaw Road by Choctaw Storyteller Tim Tingle
My Little Red Book by Rachel Kauder Nalebuff
The Milly-Molly-Mandy Books by Joyce Lankster Brisley
Work In Progress by Kristin Armstrong
Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun
Slumdog Millionaire (film review)*
Written by Vikas Swarup (novel) and Simon Beaufoy (screenplay)
Directed by Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan (co-director: India)
Get Positively Beautiful by Carmindy
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson




2008

Reviews

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss with Christie Matheson
The Flavor Bible by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
Katie Brown Celebrates by Katie Brown
The Green Beauty Guide by Julie Gabriel
Wife In The North by Judith o' Reilly
A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas *
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
Flirting with Forty by Jane Porter
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicky Myron
Testimony by Anita Shreve
Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe by Jennie Shortridge
I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris
Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway
LIFE: The American Journey of Barack Obama by Robert Sullivan
Off the Menu by Christine Son*
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
We Interrupt This Broadcast (10th Anniversary Edition) by Joe Garner
First Daughter by Eric Van Lustbader
The Bible Illuminated: The Book, New Testament by Publisher lluminated World
Life After Genius by M. Ann Jacoby
The 19th Wife
by David Ebershoff
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Lord of The Flies by William Golding
The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton*
The Shiniest Jewel: A Family Love Story
by Marian Henley*
Dating Da Vinci by Malena Lott
Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinma Iweala
Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Janeology by Karen Harrington
Immortal by Traci L. Slatton
Watership Down by Richard Adams*
March by Geraldine Brooks
Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer
Half A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom*
An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination
by Elizabeth McCracken
Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
The Front Porch Prophet by Raymond L. Atkins
What if...? by Steve N. Lee
The Bible Salesman
by Clyde Edgerton
Run by Ann Patchett
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss
The River, By Moonlight Camille Marchetta
Eating for Energy by Yuri Elkaim
The American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel C. Beard
From A Distance by Tamara Alexander
Surviving Ben's Suicide by C.Comfort Shields
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer
and Annie Barrows*
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls*
Deep in the Heart of Trouble byDeeanne Gist
Jackie Ormes: The First African American Woman Cartoonist by Nancy Goldstein
Mrs. Lieutenant by Phillys Zimbler Miller
The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Skunk: A Love Story by Justin Courter
The Vanishing Moon by Joseph Coulson
Did I Expect Angels? by Kathryn Maughan
The Society of S by Susan Hubbard
The Heartbreak Diet by Thorina Rose
BELONGING by Niloufar Talebi
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella
A Bottle in the Gaza Sea by Valerie Zenatti
The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
A Separate Star: Selected Writings
by Helen Hunt Jackson
Matrimony: a novel by Joshua Henkin
Love Marriage by V.V. Ganeshananthan
Persepolis and Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi
Dreams and Stones by Magdalena Tulli
Two Brothers: One North, One South by David H. Jones
Invasion of the Bible Thumpers
by Skookum Maguire
The Writing Circle by Rozena Maart*
I Love Dirt by Jennifer Ward
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid
Sarajevo Marlboro by Miljenko Jergovic*
Voice of Ice/ Voix de Glace
by Alta Ifland
Making Stuff for Kids by Victoria Woodcock
A Spoon for Every Bite by Joe Hayes
ABeCedarios: Mexican Folk Art in Spanish and English by Cynthia Weill
187 Reasons Mexicanos Can't Cross the Border
by Juan Felipe Herrera
Moving Parts by Magdalena Tulli
Town House by Tish Cohen
Farmworker's Daughter by Rose Castillo Gilbault
The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule
The Waitress Was New by Dominique Fabre
I'jaam:an iraqi rhapsody by Sinan Antoon*
There's a (Slight) Chance I Might be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger*
The History of Love
by Nicole Krauss
Karma and Other Stories by Rishi Reddi
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

*Winners of my Happy Chicken Award!!! :)

Here are my reads for 2008, I guess this year I completed 108 according to the count here :) I met my goal,sweet!

My favourites, the Happy Chicken award winners for 2008:


What I read in 2008:








6 comments:

pussreboots said...

We have two reviews in common:

Franny and Zooey and The History of Love. I will check tonight to see if I've linked to yours. If I haven't, I will.

Happy reading.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

pussreboots-YAY! Thanks I just got those links up :)

Ramya said...

i'm back!!:) and what better welcome than a nice book from you! i am soo excited.. shall email you my address..and will get back to blogging soon!!:) missed reading your blog all these days.. looks like you've been extremely active.. i have a lot of reading to catch up on!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great list--and I've read almost NONE of those! I think only Franny and Zooey (an all-time favorite) and The Kite Runner. Reminds me that I need to give my teenager some Salinger to devour!

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that I love this new look? I lack the ability to add background without losing my archives. So I don't play around with it...lol!

Yasmin said...

I've read The Glass Castle and the Kite Runner...two of my favorite reads in 2007.