Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Kite Runner

http://nicholasfiedler.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/kite-runner.jpg

Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Yearly Count: 33
Pages: 372


Da bomb! That would be the summary of this review, but if you want the review in more than two words here you go:
The Kite Runner is a book of boyhood, friendship, caste systems, love, sons and fathers, war and travels to new lands, new unknowns...a book journey that will rip you raw of feeling, and then put you back together again, not the same, but changed. It is Powerful, honest, ravishing and fully lovable.

Really, if you have not read this book yet you need to. I waited a long time, too long, and I will not forgive myself for doing that. However when I grabbed up The Kite Runner I finished it within a couple of days, because at every point when I was given a moment to read I did. I am always thrilled a to find a book that practically reads itself to me, and this book by Hosseini was that, when I would set it down I would think about when the next time was when I would have a couple minutes to return to it, and the during the day I would constantly catch myself thinking about it, about Afghanistan, about Amir and Hassan, about their fathers and their lives, so different from mine. I traveled there in my mind, to an imaginary place, all the components of the book worked together to form my image of my own Afghanistan. I know it is not right, it is not what it really is...but in imagining I feel closer, like I have a friend from there who has told me about it.

The introspective aspect of The Kite Runner was incredible, I enjoyed the personal journey the men and women in this book were on. They live life in a fragrant honestly that attached me to them for life. I am connected, with their desires, their downfalls, their hopes and dreams and when they laid it all bare and allowed for judgment to flow it did as well. I hated Amir just as much as I loved him, I saw myself in different aspects of different people throughout the whole book. This is one that I will cherish and will re-read when the time comes. There is not enough that I can say about this book, just not enough. If you have read it you know why, and if you haven't you must find out.

And I know that for sure I will read A Thousand Splendid Suns...CAN'T WAIT!

Some links:
Kite Runner on Wikipedia
Khaled Hosseini Wikipedia

If you have read this email, or comment me your link and I will add it!

10 comments:

Debi said...

Oh my goodness...your review took my breath away! It was exquisite. Geez, and I thought I was anxious to read this before...I didn't know what anxious was!

Karen said...

It is a fantastic book isn't it? I still haven't seen the movie because I'm thinking it can't possibly be as good as the book.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

debi- well, thank you! I am honoured you enjoyed my review. Yes, the book is too good.

karen- yes, for sure completely fantastic. My husband and I are both going to read this as he is on break from school, and after we finish we will watch the film. I know it is probably not as good, but even if it is half as good it will be great!

Darlene said...

Great review! I read this book last year sometime and it is amazing. I agree that it takes your mind to a different place and you experience in your mind all that happens.

You will feel the same about A Thousand Splendid Suns or at least I did. Another great novel!

Ana S. said...

Exquisite review indeed! For some reason I was hesitant about reading this book. But you've convinced me.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

dar- yes I can't wait to read A Thousand Splendid Suns!! I am waiting to get it from the lib, I am on the hold list! yay!

nymeth- thanks! I am glad you liked it, but mostly glad that you will now read the book. I hope you love it as much as me!

Peta said...

I've had this book on my shelf for a while now but just not been sure if I'd like it. As it's now been joined by 1000 Splendid Suns and your review is so glowing perhaps it's time to give it a chance!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm so glad you loved this one as much as I did--we shared some of the same emotions while reading it. I hope that you love ATSS just as much (I suspect you will).

rajk said...

I've read this book and ATSS and I can assure anyone who's in doubt that you'll love both these books. And the movie "Kite Runner", contrary to expectations, did turn out quite good (except for a little bit in the end).

the booklady said...

Excellent review! Just discovered your blog via literatehousewife. You will love ATSSs if you haven't already read it. I loved "The Kite Runner" but appreciated that ATSS focused on women. Here's my review: http://okie-booklady.blogspot.com/2007/09/thousand-splendid-suns_03.html

Wish I'd read more of the books on your list, but I'll keep checking... Hope you'll visit too!