Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Matrimony: a novel by Joshua Henkin

The image “http://mother-talk.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/matrimony.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.



*edit: I didn't feel right about my review, Matrimony was a good read, and I think I was just overwhelmed by other reads at the moment. Please take the time to re-read. (:


Title: Matrimony: a novel
Author: Joshua Henkin
Pages: 291
Yearly Count: 31
About a man (Julian), his wife (Mia) and all that surrounds them this is a novel about all that they are about. It covers them from college, even before they met, to their late 30's and all that goes on in those years, the joys, tragedies and what has made them what they are. However it for me it didn't go too far beyond chick lit really. It was mild, temperate and warm, and it made me enjoy the evenings I spent reading it as I would enjoy a cozy bath. It was like that familiar face you know you have seen somewhere, but are not sure where- and then you realize it is a conglomeration of many faces, in many places, that is what Matrimony is like- deja vu.

Julian was the main man, and I enjoyed that he had the many honourable character traits. The remaining peeps were not as strong as I would have liked, but this could have been because I had a hard time with their standards. Mia and Carter seemed too full of immaturity and selfishness to really function in society, however they both separately realised this which made them more enjoyable after their change. Matrimony as a whole was a good read, enjoyable and an all-too-real-account of life, marriage, and the choices that we make coming back to bite us in the butt!

I did keep reading it, and was drawn to it, I think mostly because it was easy to read and entertained me. Joshua's writing style was easy to follow, and seemed to flow effortlessly into my eyes. It was there for me to enjoy and if only to veg-out after a thick-heavy-hard read, it was for sure worth my evenings spent with it.

Here is the review from the New York Times: Matrimony-Joshua Henkin
author's web page: http://www.joshuahenkin.com






If you have read Matrimony and agree or disagree, give me your link and I'll add it to this post!!

Other views on Matrimony by Henkin:
LisaMM
Heather J



9 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I haven't read it or heard of it, but I may keep it in mind for a vacation read this summer. Thanks for the review. :)

Anonymous said...

I received it a few days ago. Yet to start it. I will link yours after I read and review it!

LisaMM said...

Hey! Where's my comment??? (I'm just teasing you Bethany!)

I think your review was very fair but I still don't think it was even remotely "chick lit"!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm I'll keep it in mind when I need an easy read :)

Anonymous said...

so do you primarily read modern fiction?

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*trish- perfect read for that...quick, interesting and light.

*gautami tripathy- I am excited to see how you like it!!!

*lisamm-hahaha!!! Yeah, well I don't think chick-lit is a bad thing, do you?

kbookreviews- yes, it is worth it!

bluestocking- well, I am not sure if that is what I read mostly, I guess it is. I don't really care if it is modern, just that it is good. Why, do you have a recommendation??

Anonymous said...

Oh I've been meaning to read this for ages. The author was a friend of my sister's in college, so that kind of gives it an added dimension. This summer, for sure!

LisaMM said...

Hi bethany, I don't think chick lit is a bad thing.. but this doesn't fit my definition of it. For me, chick lit usually has a pink cover, is quick and deals with very light subject matter- how to get a man, or dress sexy, or get married in 6 weeks or less. Very much a 'single girls' kind of read- single working women in their 20's to be precise. Matrimony doesn't even come close to that, IMO.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Hi! I included a link to your review in mine (which is here, in case you interested).