Thursday, June 26, 2008

btt: a reader

The image “http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/BRGPOD/147257~The-Reader-1856-Posters.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

btt button

Q:What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?


A:Well, to me a reader is a person who on a consistent basis enjoys reading books in their spare time. There is obliviously the definition of reader for anyone who can read, and that is understandable too, as in for little kids and such. But, for me I would assume that we are already talking about adults, and those who are literate...so in that case a reader is someone who enjoys the act of reading, and not just a certain series, and then never again, but someone who is consistent with their pleasure in reading, and someone who seeks it out (ei little kid who can never check out enough books at the lib, or adults who enjoy a good book with their evening tea or on the porch). Reading does not need to be snobby, and I think the snobbery of exclusion has lasted long enough...reading is a joy and a reader will know that feeling of blis in picking up a book to read. To me a reader is unlike a knowledge-grabber who is on the constant drive to know more, so they can blast you away with all the titles, all the really boring books, and all the facts....to me readers tend to not feel the need to brag about their books, since their joy of reading comes from within, and not from an external praise they would receive. Don't get me wrong we all need encouragement, but I am talking about reading for show,or for what others would assume of us for having read so much, to me that is not a true reader since their pleasure comes not from books but from the glory. (we all like to brag a little though right!?) :)

What do you think? What is a reader to you? Are you a reader? Have you always been a reader, or did something trigger it later on in your life?

ps. all of us bookie bloggers would definitely be considered readers!! We are readers over breathers, hhahaha!!! :) If we aren't readers...than no one is!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think the snobbery of exclusion has lasted long enough"

Mmm... I don't know. I'm not as likely to respect a person who's sole reading is Harlequins and Silhouettes. But, even those have their place in reading. When my mom was dealing with my dad's cancer, she devoured romance novels because, as she put it, she needed SOME happiness from SOMEWHERE.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

thekoolaidmom- well, I know, sometimes it is hard to accept that what someone else enjoys (and we don't ) should be as worthy, but that is where individual choice comes in, and that is such a beautiful thing...I would never want to crush it.

I hardly ever read fantasy, or science fiction, and I have never read romance novels....but if we begin to exclude certain genres in order for someone to call themselves a reader, isn't it just not fair? It seems that way to me, I'm okay, you're okay, I guess:)

LisaMM said...

I am guilty of being a reader.

Anonymous said...

Bethany - great picture!

I came to the same conclusions you did. Once you're an adult, a reader is someone who enjoys it or at least does it because it's important. I'm also with you on the I'm okay, you're okay approach to what people read. There's so much to read out there. I once read a newspaper article about a woman who writes romance novels for a living. I had no idea that they only have a certain number of weeks/months for their shelf life! Some might argue about the quality of Harlequins and the like, but those authors really have to pump out the prose.

jlshall said...

"...that feeling of bliss in picking up a book to read" - what a wonderful phrase. That's definitely what keeps me reading.

SmilingSally said...

Upon opening a gift, it is blissful to discover it to be a book I longed to read!

Trixie said...

I do wholeheartedly agree with Smiling Sal - my favorite gift is a new book.
I am all inclusive in my definition of a reader as I tend to incorporate those who will read anything, so desparate are they to read. (See my blog post for more details on the value of reading the toilet paper package.)
http://trixiejames.blogspot.com/

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

lisamm- yes, you most certainly are.

literatehousewife- yeah. wow, I had no idea about the romance novels!

jlshal- oh, me too for sure!

smilingsal- for sure, I echo that!
and I just got some today, so it even makes more sense to me!!

trixie- yes, the cereal box, toilette graffiti....it is all a good read! :)

Anonymous said...

"consistent with their pleasure in reading"...I like that line.

I've always been a reader...I read less for pleasure in college, but I've more than made up for that lapse in the years since!