Monday, June 2, 2008

the OT challenge meme, I DID IT!

I guess I should do this meme, since I asked you to!!! haha!! Thank you to all of you who have completed it and given me the link, I love reading your answers.

The Orbis Terrarum Challenge meme:



1.) What country do you always go back to in your travels (not just while reading for OT)?
I tend to read about India, mostly. I head back there often. It used to be Mexico that I was obsessed with, I wonder what will come next. Iraq, Iran, Pakistan are all really interesting to me, as far as novels go right now.


2.) If you could visit 4 of the countries you have read about in your life (that you haven't been to yet), which would they be and why? (you can include the book that makes you want to visit if you remember)

Oh, easy:
India ( Karma and Other Stories, Interpreter of Maladies, The Namesake)
China ( The Woman Warrior)
Iraq ( I'Jaam)
South Africa (The Writing Circle)


3.) Have you ever dreamed about a country you have read about, that you have never actually traveled to- except in your dreams?

I have dreamed about being in Mexico, and India...both were good dreams.

4.) In what ways has reading about different countries opened up your perspective about global issues?

I love reading about different nations, the difficulties of the peoples living there, the dark, the happy, the sweet times. I enjoy doing this because I believe that through it I understand more about our global civilization, I feel for people whom others consider enemies. I even if for a mere 200 pages am zapped into a time and place that is not within my comfort zone, it is a place that may be foreign to me...but every single time so far I fall in love for the ways in which we are different, but also because of the ways in which being so different, we are so humanly similar. I will stop now, but learning this way is a passion of mine....I will spare you.

5.) What countries have you felt your judgment was off about-after reading about that nation?

To be completely honest, I have learned that no matter who I am, how open-minded, or where I am from I will (as any one of you) hold prejudices towards different types of people. I think often it is a fear of the unknown, or the feeling that in the past "they" may have wronged "us". We all cast judgments, we do it daily...most of the time they are not mean, or even negative at all, but they are still judgments, ways we remember a certain person, by what they wear, what they like to do, or where they are from.
I guess I feel judgments falling off every time I read a book by an author about his/her land. It happens because, me, not being from there in order to have a space in my mind for that nation I take in glimpses, but many times these may be generalizations, or I may be misinformed...I believe that each time any individual picks up a book to learn about a people that are to him/her unknown, or foreign that judgments will be shattered... but only a couple at a time, that is why I keep reading.

6.) Which is your favourite book that you would recommend for this challenge (you don't have to have read it during the challenge)?

AHH, I hate it when I am asked to name just one!! I never can do it. Oh, wait..I asked!!!hahaha! Well, I am going to cheat. I have never been a rule follower!
- Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
- I'jaam by Sinan Antoon
-Aura by Carlos Fuentes

I could go on....but I won't.

7.) I am thinking about hosting again, for a full year next time starting in January, do you have any constructive criticism, is one book a month about right...more? less? Give me some thoughts.

...I will be back...and yes I agree with what most of you have said, that you like shorter challenges rather than year long ones. I agree.

8.) Anything else that you have been wanting to tell us all about? let us have it!

I am so happy to have you all reading, and doing such a great job keeping up with this challenge!! I love to read about different cultures...and it is so fun to do it together, and find out
about great books I would have never picked up, but now I will!

PS: If you feel any of my answers are not explained properly, or they don't make sense, please ask!

1 comment:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

You are a funny girl not being able to answer your own questions! :) I loved your answers to #s 4 and 5--the meat of this challenge for me--breaking those prejudices and learning more about the world, not just our little living spaces.

Thanks again for the great experience!