Saturday, May 31, 2008

SuNdAY sALon- curve the addiction already!!!

and this is only half! ahhhhh~!!!! can you say BA?...no, not that! I mean Bookaholics Anonymous!



Hello, Sunday Saloners!!! This week I read my first graphic novels, Persepolis and Persepolis 2, I loved them, here is my review. I haven't read anything like them before, the honesty, the life and the details surrounded me...I really recommend them.
Besides that I did a couple of memes...fun stuff. I COMPLETED My Year of Reading Dangerously Challenge!!! And I bought TONS of great new books. Here are the titles (above is a picture of half of what I found in one day at our local goodwill!!! we live in a college town, and the books I can find there are usualy very good) Here is a full list of my findings:
Bel Canto (P.S.) by Ann Patchett
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
The Lady and the Monk: Four Seasons in Kyoto by Pico Iyer
Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry
Peony in Love: A Novel by Lisa See
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
The Samurai's Garden: A Novel by Gail Tsukiyama
My Antonia (Barnes & Noble Classics) by Willa Cather
When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk
I am excited to read these books, have you read any of them?

I am aware that I have an addiction, an addiction to buy books. I read, I do...but certainly not at the same rate at which I conquer and buy these beauties! What do you do to not go to the poor house on books? These are my things that USUALLY help out: 1.) never buy new. 2.) only go to the used book store/ goodwill used books twice a month. 3.) Read library books as much as possible!!!! 4.) borrow the book from friend if they have it. 5.) Do not envy other's large stacks of books..no matter how pretty or how nice they would look on your shelf...don't.
I know that in our book-blogging, book-attaining circle it is fine to purchase books, to drool over books, to envy books...but really, what do you do so to help curve your addiction!???

I think my addiction won out this week!!! (I do have some pretty books to show for it)




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've read Little Women about a thousand times. :) The Pillars of the Earth is high on my TBR list too.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on On Beauty. Zadie Smith is one of my favorite writers, but she has a polarizing effect on readers.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

julie- I have never actually read the book!!! funny right? yah. I started Pillars of the Earth, but it was a library copy and had to return it (this was like 4 years ago...so for sure I'd start it over!).

chayenne- I read the first couple lines in the store and it looks GREAT. I really hope I like it, it is so fun to find authors that are amazing and that you want to read every book they write!!

Elizabeth said...

When people ask me what I do to not accumulate more books, I tell them, "Well, I just don't buy books. Easy Peasy." Of course, this masks the truth, which is that I regularly accumulate 1-2 books per week from Paperbackswap.com. I rationalize it by telling myself that I'm not really buying books - I'm just buying credits that can be exchanged for books. I know, I'm delusional. But, you see, I'm not buying BOOKS.....=)

Anonymous said...

I'd join if I thought it would do any good. :( There is no hope.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Read and loved My Antonia, Peony in Love (review here: http://smallworldreads.blogspot.com/2008/04/book-review-peony-in-love.html); Bel Canto (I think I liked that one), and of course, Little Women. I'll look forward to your reviews on the others!

Marg said...

I've read Peony in Love and Little Women and really enjoyed both of them!

Medbie said...

I love Woolf; reading her is like going home for me!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of your new books, but I will get Pillars of the Earth in the summer, when my parents will visit me (I know they've already bought the book, that's why I am so sure!). I have To the Lighthouse on my TBR-pile and I'd like to give My name is Red a try, even though I had a very hard time finishing snow by Orhan Pamuk.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on any of your new additions!

tanabata said...

Curve the addiction? I say embrace it instead! ;)
I've read Bel Canto, Pillars of the Earth, and The Samurai's Garden and they were all good reads. Have fun with your new treasures.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I haven't read On Beauty, but it's on my Orbis Terrarum list! :) Since I enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (when I wasn't being horrified by the footbinding!) I think I'd like to read Peony in Love one day.