Sunday, May 25, 2008

in memory of SUnDaY sALOn

happy long weekend to all of you who can take a long weekend...I get to stay at home with my little boys (aka balls-of-fire) so I am home, and my husband is taking tomorrow off. I am not sure what we'll do yet, I will do some reading though for sure.

How is all of your reading going? Do you find it is easier to read in the nice weather or harder? do you choose to read different books in the warmer months, or does it pretty much stay the same throughout the year? For me I seem to have a harder time reading, especially when right now it is time to get my toms in the ground, and lettuce and spinach, and cukes and zukes (cucumbers and zucchinis)...and flowers, but I have been reading quite a bit so that I don't get behind on my reviewing!
I think I would rather read heavy when there is not as much to do outside, and more light stuff when the weather is nice. I am not sure why, maybe that is strange....do you do that?

So this last week I have read a couple of books, some I liked, some I didn't here are the books and the links to my reviews from this week:

Two Brothers: One North, One South by David H. Jones
Invasion Of the Bible Thumpers by Scookum Maguire
The Writing Circle by Rozena Maart

The image “http://www.riginslinger.com/images/invasiona.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.The image “http://www.tsarbooks.com/WritingCover.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.



I am now on to Magdalena Tuli's Dreams and Stones vrom Archipelago Books, and it is pretty amazing. The detail of it all is incredible!! I will post a review soon, I still have a ways to go on it.

Happy, happy reading and happy memorial day!!! Have fun, and be safe!

Read happy.





9 comments:

beastmomma said...

I am not sure if I have a pattern of reading heavier or lighter things that is connected to the weather. I just like to read good things :)

Anonymous said...

Good question... I don't think my reading pattern changes too much, except that in summer my husband doesn't have to work (he's a teacher), so that's when we try to read books together. I do have some seasonal favorites that I like to reread at certain times of year.

Anonymous said...

Since this is a topic of conversation on blogs, I've been able to think long and hard about it. I am a moodly reader, but my moods have nothing to do with the weather.

I'd like to read when it's cool or cold and raining, but that doesn't make me read more or less.

If I am reading a boring book or one I don't like, you'll see a decline in my speed. If I get on the trail of ones I like, you'll see me become some sort of demon reader and I'll buzz through them like crazy.

Now a friend put an idea in my head of reading like five or more at once. I make sure a really good one is in the bunch, and I'll always be drawn to my reading spot. :)

Jeane said...

My reading choices don't really change with the seasons. It all depends upon personal mood (although that might be affected by the weather!) I'm trying to get my garden planted, too.

Chelsie said...

Around this time of year, I tend to read summer books, but other than a couple different choices, usually my reading stays pretty much the same...

But the warm weather doesn't really affect my reading. Oftentimes, I'll go outside and read in the sun, if I really want to get out. But during the summer I make time to go outside and have fun, and time to read... it all balances out nicely =D

LisaMM said...

It's always nice where I live (Southern California) so the weather doesn't have much of an effect, although I do love to curl up with a book on a chilly day.

Megan said...

It is much easier for me to read with the bad weather. When it is nice and sunny out I always think I am going to spread out a blanket and lay down and read. But I rarely do, or if I do the sun shining on the book blinds me. And the outside noises distract me.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

beastmomma- I understand wanting to read good things!!

julie- My hubby and I read together too, not as often as we would like, but he is graduate school right now and I wouldn't want to read any of his marketing books!!!

j.kaye oldner- Oh, my moods have a lot to do with the wether...maybe it is beause here in oregon we are lucky to get a glimpse of the sun!!!
I know what you are saying about a decline in speed, I do that! I will not grab that book up at every possible oportunity like I would if I loved it. yes, the demon reader I do that.

I wish I could read 4-5 at the same time, I just can't do it. I will end up just reading the ones that I like and not reading the others.

jeane- yumm....garden veggies, and pretty flowers!

chelsie- yah, I always kid myself that I am going to go outside and read...but I am %100 distractable, it sucks.

lisamm- a book, and crummy weather just go together so nicely! and a warm fire and a cup of tea or chocolate! oh, yum.

megan- I feel the same! Yes, I watch the wind and the trees and the cats and anything besides read. And I too have a problem with the brightness! hahhahaaa! It is a good thing I live in Oregon, where the sun never shines for long (;

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Looks like some great books! I don't think my reading changes based on the weather--although in the summer I usually travel more often and so unless on a plane I don't get a whole lot read. Actually, when taking car rides I've started reading aloud to hubby, which is exhausting but fun. We started Ender's Game last weekend and really like it so far.