Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Happy Chicken Award!



Today I decided to create an award. I have not settled on a rating system, but I want you to know which books really are my complete faves, the ones I will remember long after I read them, the ones that I grieved when I finished. :)

So with a super happy smile I would like to present to you the Happy Chicken Award: Reserved for the Best of the Best! I went through my reads this year and figured out which ones would receive this award:

Sarajevo Marlboro by Miljenko Jergovic
The Writing Circle by Rozena Maart
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger
The Shiniest Jewel by Marian Henley
The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton
(not yet reviewed)

When you see this image, know that the book you are reading about isn't just good, it is the best. I know, the Happy Chicken Award is a bit strange...but so am I :) Enjoy.

ps. This is a picture of my chick, who is now a chicken. Her name is jewel!

11 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

I think it is a great award and I need to read Watership Down again

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

thanks Ronda, I am so glad you like it :) yep, Watership Down is one of my ALL time faves, no doubt about that!

Darlene said...

Aaah, the chickie is cute. Only you could think of something like this-it's great.

Sandra said...

Nice idea. I hear you about Guernsey and Franny and Zooey. I now own a copy of The Glass Castle and have yet to get to it. I had a pet hen as a girl, named Jenny, and we loved her. Hope there are many "happy chickens" in your future.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Too funny!! And Jewel is really cute! Except I would be afraid she would try to peck me. I've always been a little scared of chickens...

Sarah said...

Interesting! I recently read Franny and Zooey and wasn't really impressed. But, The Hiding Place is one book I plan to read before the year is over!

Anyways, I just discovered your blog and I wished I would have found it sooner. Your read-a-thon blogs are so fun! I should have put your blog on the list of blogs I was following during my read-a-thon reading breaks :)

cessie said...

What a lovely award :-)
I have The glass castle on my TBR challenge for this year so I guess I will read it in a few weeks!
Gives me even more interest to read it!

avisannschild said...

Bethany, you are one wacky girl! I love your happy chicken award! I must confess I haven't read a single one of the books you mention though...

Anonymous said...

good idea!

Anonymous said...

ohh ok - i get it.
Jewel is so cute :-)

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea.