Thursday, September 4, 2008

Eating for Energy

http://www.totalwellnessconsulting.ca/eating_images/eating_for_energy_cover_small.jpg The image “http://www.mp3personaltrainer.com/uploads/images/red_me_web.JPG” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Title: Eating for Energy: Transforming your life through living plant-based foods
Author: Yuri Elkaim
Pages: 332
Publisher:
Yearly Count: 56

Insanity. Eating for Energy is a powerhouse of a book. Not a genre I typically read, but I have found so much useful information in this book that it will certainly be one that I come back to over and over. Elkaim encourages eating raw foods whenever possible, saying that if you do this for a full day you will "experience the difference the enzymes make"(p. 76) , a food spectrum instead of the pyramid (p. 83), a 12-week meal plan (p. 201), and almost 100 pages of recipes to start out with. Eating for Energy is broken up into two sections, Undertaking the Nutritional Lifestyle and Living the Nutritional Lifestyle Success Guide.

I already love eating healthy, but even at that there are always good changes to make. Changes one makes in his/her lifestyle as far as eating healthy will impact much more people than you would think. Yuri Elkaim is a big believer in enzymes, or "proteins that accelerate metabolic reactions in the body" (p. 62). After reading this book I feel I understand what food is all about, and that not just looking healthy, but being internally healthy is what is really important.

Tips on mostly everything that you can think of: Tips for eating at restaurants (p. 137), Tips on making the transition (p. 133) and The Ten Success Habits (p. 143). This book will blow your mind, but it is written in an easy to follow and understand format for sure. For anyone interested in being more aware of how to be healthy and treat their body right! :) enjoy.

Yuri Elkaim's Total Wellness blog

Free Books from BookExpo!




6 comments:

Jena said...

This one is at the top of my pile, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to pick it up again; I read the first couple chapters and am worried that this book will only be useful if I revamp my entire philosophy of food and cooking. Am I wrong? (I refuse to live a cookie-less, meatless life.)

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

well, I don't know for sure. I always use books like this and take the "doable" stuff and leave the other stuff.

However we are already vegetarians at home. I haven't cooked meat in over a year and we have two little boys. The reason I didn't do it much sooner was that I hate not eating what is put before me at other people's homes. So, we are in home veggies. At home we don't make meat, but whenever we go anywhere we don't worry about it. We eat whatever is placed before us. We purposefully haven't mentioned "oh, we don't eat meat" to the boys....they have not idea. We don't lie, but they have never asked about it at all. I figure sooner or later they will ask, but not so far.

Anyway...so I took what I wanted from the book, the stuff that I am able to do, and maybe someday I will worry about the rest.

super long answer, huh!? :)

Ramya said...

i have never read books like this.. but your review makes me want to read this one.. by the way, i am waiting for my first batch of books from mini book expo as well! how long have you been getting books from them?

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

ramya-yeah, I don't either...but I did like it. It certainly is not a fiction read thoguh! :)

this is my first book to read and review for mini book expo. This is my first batch as well.

Medbie said...

As a vegetarian, I'd love to read that book. I'm adding it to my list!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Tips on eating out--that's what I need! We eat out a lot at work and even getting just a salad can be really unhealthy. How was the retreat?