Monday, March 3, 2008

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss


Title: The History of Love
Author: Nicole Krauss
Pages: 249
Date Completed: 6th February, 2008
Yearly Count: 7
Rated: 4.5/5

I finished The History of Love by Nicole Krauss last week. Oh, my goodness...what a good book to read. It is one of those in-between books for me, it is not a silly nothing total chic lit (which I do enjoy sometimes too), and it is not loaded with information so that I needed to read and re-read paragraphs to make sure I didn't miss anything. It is an amazing book, it caused me to think, it is somewhat of a mystery and a love story of not just husband and wife, but best friends who are up in their years and share loss and history, of a mother and daughter learning to relate, brother and sister growing up together. For each character in the book it is the loss of such a love and what has caused the pain, and how they reach through that pain to continue on in their love even after death or distance or choices that have put a separation mark between them.

Even thought the title would give off a mushy, sappy book, this is not that. It is not that only because it concentrates on people and their difficulties in conquering their loves, but also in how they were or were not able to maintain them. This book deals with the deeper aspects of love, as in loyalty, devotion, patience and trust. I was not able to put it down, and even when I had to (I do have two little boys!), I would just keep on thinking about it until I was reunited with it once again. Now it is over...I wish it weren't. This book struck deep within me, I loved it...truly. It is one of my all time faves.

Also reviewed by:
Pussreboots: The History of Love

1 comment:

trish said...

Wow. I know this book is on my *buy it now* list...I should definitely bump it up! Thanks for the recommendation!

By the way, welcome to blogging! You'll love it. Stop on over at other people's blogs and comment (like you did at mine). They will, in turn, stop by your blog and do the same.