Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Salon- a little bit of this, a whole lotta something else.

This week has been a good reading week. I read a book that inspired me, and because of it have not read much else. It is The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule (click here for my review). The book is just too much, it is too full and just makes you want to create all sorts of things that you realize are possible.
This week I also finished The Waitress Was New (click here for my review). It was also really great. Just a true down-to-earth simple read that was deep into character development of a bartender who would have normally been overlooked. I loved it.
I haven't started the Farmer's daughter yet, but this week I'll read that one. Oh, and I bought tons of good books, and want to know if you have read them here is my stacks and stacks of lovin' post!

Okay well, honestly I am dying to get on the road here....not that I don't completely enjoy the company of the Sunday Salon, but it was my birthday yesterday and we have a babysitter for an evening out tonight. Also, my husband (B) who knows that I have been really wanting to get back into rockclimbing (I only boulder indoor, so don't worry about risk...just in case that is what you were thinking)...so for my B-dia he bought me a pass to the amazing Oregon State University indoor climbing wall. I used to climb there when I went to school, but since graduation (and two pregnancies) I have not been back): but now I have the chance and honestly it is one of those things that just thinking about it gets your adrenaline tingling. I went yesterday, but the new shoes I just got were excruciatingly tight (yes exactly as though I were binding my feet), I went for 3 minutes and had to leave, so the anticipation is even greater today. So because of all of this I am just having a really hard time concentrating on books right now...as in while I am trying to write this, all I can think about is putting the boys down for their naps and letting my hubby take over while I head over to climb. I think later today, or maybe tonight after I burn some of this adrenaline off I'll be able to post again...

I know you all like reading, since you are insane-o bookies..but what do you like to do for activity? I have heard of some people that listen to books on tape while the exercise as well, do you do that? It sounds fun, but what about clearing your mind from outside inputs for a while and focusing inward, not in a selfish way, but more of a revitalizing thing?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still feeling my way around this new experience of The Sunday Salon. I do want to wish you a Happy Birthday! The rock climbing sounds like fun. :)

Jeane said...

I like to swim laps. There's no way to have distractions, clears my mind like nothing else.

Iliana said...

Happy birthday! Hope you had a good time rock climbing!

joanna said...

Happy belated Birthday!

I just started to listed to audiobooks - and yes, while walking, to get some excercise. I'm really enjoying it and certainly gets me out there so it's good in my book!

Megan said...

The Creative Family sounds so good. I saw it somewhere else too.

Happy Birthday! *sings obnoxiously*

When I am not reading I am probably wasting a lot of time on the internet or watching mindless TV. I guess you could say my hobby is shopping for books. :)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

first, happy birthday! I've been trying to go (indoor) rock-climbing for a few weeks now, but it seems like something else always creeps up. My life is pretty boring since it's just hubby and me. Blogging is my ME time, but I do a fair amount of reading as well. I try and work out after work and hubby and I usually cook together. I'm dying to go camping, though, before the weather gets too terribly hot.

Anonymous said...

I take long walks. On sunny days I walk to work (from school) -- it's about 45 minutes and so a nice middle distance. I don't listen to any music or books... it's just me and the sidewalk.

Anonymous said...

Recently, I have gotten back into yoga-- it is a good workout and relaxing. Over my spring break, I learned how to pay raquetball. Now, I am hooked!!! It is a good way to get out agression.