Sunday, March 23, 2008

rainy sunday salon...

It is easter, and raining...this is Oregon, rain is what we breathe here. I also breathe books, here are the latest: (oh, and Happy Sunday Salon!!)


I am currently reading The Waitress Was New by Dominique Farbe, which is exceptional so far. I enjoy the descriptions the language use and all the rest of it too!
I am done with the book I talked about last week There's a (Slight) Chance I Might be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro, it was funny and good (my review). I just finished reading I'jaam (my review) by Sinan Antoon which was one of the most captivating and life changing books I have read to date. I could not express it with accuracy in my review, I tried and tried to let everyone know the feelings that were inside me as I read this novel, but when I re-read my review, even though it is full of praise...it just isn't good enough. The impact is much deeper, I believe, than I could ever try to write about. It is one amazing book. Amazing.

After I finish the Waitress Was New, I think I'll read the Farmworker's Daughter: Growing up in Mexican in America by Rose Castillo Gibault. I haven't started it yet, but it looks very good. It is on one of the key topics that is most interesting to me. I love reading about immigrants to the US, those who crossed over to Ellis Island from Europe (as did my relatives..from England, Italy, France and Ireland) but mostly I enjoy reading about those who cross the southern border. I feel such a strong connection with immigrants because for my whole growing up years I believed I was an immigrant to Spain( my parents live there, and have since I was 6 yrs. old), but when I came to America (for collage and eventually to marry and stay, at least for now...) I realised that I was never an immigrant to Spain, except for in the very beginning....but that now I was in every way but one an immigrant to America. See, I was American on the outside so no one ever could ever tell. I had no accent. But my heart and soul were from far, far away. The loneliness that is felt, the hardships, that Latinos go through I do not say I can commiserate with, but if even in a tiny glimpse I have felt just some of the same feelings upon moving here. Don't worry, now I am fully integrated, an love it here!!! I have become once again a national, in all ways...except that my heart still longs for the place that was once home, but not nearly as much as it once did. I also graduated with th a BA in Spanish Literature....so that is another reason for my admiration of such writings.

Anyway, Happy Sunday Salon...and Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like such a cool book. I'm going to have to get my hands on it.

Literary Feline said...

There is something to be said about a book that so moves us that we can't adequately capture just what it means to us, don't you think? I thought you did a very good job with your review of I'jaam, just the same.

The other two books you mention sound good as well. I'll be curious to know what you think of Farmworker's Daughter when you get to it.

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

well, you've done a good enough job on I'jaam to make me want to read it. I hope I can get hold of it in the UK.

Andi said...

I haven't heard of any of these books. Shame on me! Thanks for the recommendations!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I want to read I'Jaam now too! I'd not heard of it before, so thank you. I think the cover is gorgeous too - even though it is abstract, it looks enticing to me and I think I'd want to pick it up.

Irish said...

I'Jaam sounds really exciting. I might have to add it to my ever growing TBR pile.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*aka_nik: yes, it is amazing.

*literary feline: there sure is! Thank you for the compliment on my review!
I will review the others soon.

*table talk: yay! Yes, huh...you should be able to get it direct from the publisher, I think...

*andi- well, they are indies...I hadn't either!

*clare d- yes it is a great book! the cover has all these words written across it. some Arabic, some English...it is a very nice cover.

*irish: oh, you should! I just can't say enough about it.

thank you all for your comments!! they make my day.