Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Salon!- a little bit of everything.

This is my very fist time doing the Sunday Salon, and I am excited about what it is....I just hope I am doing it right. I was wondering what time people usually do it at, or does it not matter?

Well, for me this is a fun thing. I spent all night last night trying to get really far in my reading of Anna Karenina, only to realize that I only read 90 pages. Yeah, that actually is not that bad...but it is no where near the end yet. Okay, it is nearer now. I have only 190 pages left and I can't wait to finish it. I want to know if all my time invested in this book will come to a good conclusion or if the 820 pages will be tarnished by a not-so great ending.

For the first 300 pages I really didn't like the book very much, after that I have started enjoying it, and now my biggest fear is that in the end it will turn out horrible for someone who I have become attached to in time spent with them (or reading about them..however you prefer). I know that sad endings are some times, and many times a reality...I get that, but I want these people to end up okay (at least some of them!).

Another reason I can't wait to fisnish "Anna" is that I just went to our city's HUGE Library book sale and bought tons of good, no AMAZING books for so cheap I am afriad to tell you, or you may riot. Okay, I will: Hardbacks $3.00, all Paperbacks $2.00! Yes. very good. I have also been raiding our local goodwill and second hand stores to find great books. I have found some for under a dollar. I always feel I have come across something amazing when I get a good book for really cheap...it is a secret treasure. Maybe I am a nerd...but I am such a nerd, that that is fine with me. Everyone is a nerd about something, and hopefully it is something that they really love. For me I have several things that are that way: Jesus, my husband, my two little boys, books, rock climbing, and cats (on different days the list would change a tad, well...more would just be added, none taken off).

When I finish this book I will read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood!! Have you read it?

I am off to see what you all have written about...thanks for letting me be a part of this fun community!!!

14 comments:

Megan said...

Great post.
I rarely buy new books, part of my book loving is the search, the thrift rummaging, and the deal! I don't often pay more than $2 for a book. At my local thrift store I usually skip over the hardbacks because they are "too expensive" for my tastes.

I am amazed at your dedication to Anna Karnina. I recently finished my longest book ever read, Battlefeild Earth, which I for the most part didn't like. But I will be able to say I read it (1050 pages) for the rest of my life!

Anonymous said...

I loved Cat's Eye - it's the sort of book that hooks inside your head and stays there maybe forever.

Iliana said...

Hey Bethany - Happy Sunday. So glad you joined in on the Salon chatter. I've participated just a few times but it's a fun way to "meet" other bookworms.
I have read Cat's Eye -long ago but loved it. And, you can't leave us hanging, how many books did you get?! We just want to be jealous :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome! And yes, you're doing it right. People blog any time of day, and since we're spread out so much geographically, you'll find that the posts can be really spread out as well. I routinely wake up to find the English Salonists already at it.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*megan- haha! If you heard my griping about it at home, you would not think the same! anyway...I am reading it for a my book club, and I am the leader..so I better make it through it right? even if other books are calling my name!

* clare d- I am glad you liked the Cat's eye!! I am excited to read it!

*iliana- thanks for the welcome! it is fun to meet people that enjoy similar interests here. I am glad to hear you liked Cat's eye as that will be my next book..we'll see how i do?

oh, I don't know how many...i spent too much money! I can name a few books if you'd like: Cat's Eye, The House of Spirits-Allende, a couple by Carlos Fuentes...ahhh..my book shelf is in the other room, and I have the most horrible memory ever!

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the very few people who has to be dragged kicking and screaming to a Margaret Atwood book, but don't mind me, I'm the exception that proves the rule. On the other hand, I love 'Anna Karenina'. I think it's one of those books that you should re-read every ten years or so just to remind yourself of what really good writing is like. I hope the ending is all you could wish for.

Laura said...

Welcome! I think you just joined my project, The Complete Booker as well, didn't you?

Nice first post. I'm a huge used book aficionado myself. And I love my local library, too ... between these two sources I'm no longer tempted by Borders' 3 for 2 sales!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*Deb- Thanks for the welcome and the reassurance. This is such a fun thing!

*Table talk- well...i felt that way about anna, not now so much but for sure in the beginning. I hope Atwood starts off strong!...we'll see.

*Laura- Yes, I did! I can't wait to get into it more. thanks for the welcome!

Sharon said...

Bethany, I'm new in the Salon, too! Great post. I love getting great books for a bargain. So what did you find? Do tell...

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

since several of you have asked me to tell you what books I got...I will go at some point in the near future over to my bookshelf and write them all down for you...I love books!

Jeane said...

I'd like to hear what you think of Cat's Eye. It's one I just couldn't get into, tho so many other people love it!

contemporary themes said...

I'm new to the salon, too. I loved Anna Karenina!

tanabata said...

I loved Anna Karenina when I read it a few years ago. I didn't like Atwood much for a while but have grown to appreciate her work. I'm reading Surfacing right now and so far so good, but I have only just started.
BTW, I plan to join your Orbis Terrarum challenge. I just need to figure out my list. :)

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*jeane- I will let you all know fo sho!

*la la- WELCOME then! It is a good thing isn't it!?

*tanabata- YAY!Welcome it will be loads of fun! Good luck making a list, it is the hardest part!;P