Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Salon: Yes, I did a vlog with my chicken!


The Sunday Salon.com



Hey Sunday Salon folks!!!
I did the read-a-thon yesterday and it was delightful. What I like best about it is how much of a community building event it is, people going out of their way to encourage others and really all the cheers made my day.

I knew I had to get a little sleep because we have church this morning and I also have little kids who need mom today so I just can't do that on no sleep. But it was great while it lasted for sure.
I was able to read American Born Chinese, Peter Pan, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and I made it half way through Anne's House of Dreams. My total number of pages was 1401 which smashed my previous read-a-thon page count by a boulder!

I read in my car, on the floor at the lib (in a private quiet room...huh, I do wish they had comfy chairs in there...wooden ones weren't cutting it!) and on the hammock outside in my backyard.
Here are some highlights that I would like to share with you all:

My husband (B) and I decided to donate $.10 for every page that I could read during the read-a-thon. He jokingly accused me several times of trying to make him go bankrupt ;p
That was certainly one of the coolest things for me for the day, the reading with a purpose! I was able to raise $141.00 for Living Water International!!!

Reading at the library, with my lap quilt.


Green Tea Frap!!



and my favourite personal highlight was this vlog I did, I had so much fun with it and my chicken was a great co-star!!! (her name is Francisca)



Have an amazing Sunday, blessings all around! And a HUGE thank you to the cheerers, the commenters and all my friends I tried to keep up with during the read-a-thon.


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That chicken vlog was the best! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next readathon! :-D

Meghan said...

Great job, Bethany! I loved your chicken v-log. Made me laugh in the dark hours of my night! You did a fantastic reading job. I hope you're not too tired today.

- Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm

Gavin said...

Love those chickens! Congratulations on all your reads, can not wait to see what you have to say about them.

bermudaonion said...

The read-a-thon was a huge success for you! $141 for charity is awesome. Way to go!

Molly said...

OMG -- the chicken are GREAT!!

Congrats on reading over 1400 pages and donating over $140 --- what a great, successful read-a-thon you had this year.

I am VERY interested in reading your review of Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress --- I love the cover illustration.

Hope you are able to get some rest today.

Kailana said...

Oh, Anne's House of Dreams is one of my favourites from the series! And, that vlog was great! I did in fact catch it when it was first put up! It was a fun idea!

Ellyn Canfield said...

Congrats!
I was not at my laptop for all day AND I realized I tried to call you in the middle- oops.
So proud of you!

Anonymous said...

You did absolutely fab Bethany with reading as well as commenting.

Other than being a community event I am also amazed by the no of great blogs I discovered.

Frances said...

Great vlog! Don't you just love Hugo Cabret? Kids are always amazed when I introduce them to it. The illustrations are so gorgeous with two in particular I want on my wall. Congrats on your Readathon experience. Maybe next time. Today I am reading Unaccustomed Earth. Happy reading!

Ti said...

I still chuckle over that chicken vlog. It added a whole new level of fun to the mix.

Laura said...

What an accomplishment--1400 pages! I enjoyed your updates--especially the chicken one! :)

Anonymous said...

Bethany: You're always so creative with your vlogs. I think I remember some of these from last year's Read-A-Thon, but this one...wow. Great music too. All around, two thumbs up! :)

Anonymous said...

I so love that you vlogged with your chicken! I'll have to try that w/ my basset hound some time. She's very photogenic but also very camera shy. Could be interesting. Congrats on your progress during the read-a-thon. Hope you have a great and restful Sunday.

serendipity_viv said...

I lurvved the chicken. well done on doing so well in the readathon. YOu must be knackered.

Darlene said...

I loved your blog-it was hilarious! Congrats on raising so much money-that's even better! Have a happy Sunday.

chrisa511 said...

LOL...loved the chicken vlog and all of the pictures. This was a really fun read-a-thon! Enjoy your day of rest now ;)

Karen Harrington said...

oh, that just made my day. I love the chickens!

Marg said...

Loved the chicken vlog! You did really well to read that much!

Dreamybee said...

Wow, congrats on all the reading you completed! Thanks for the Hugo Cabret video as well; I didn't realize how much of that book was based on real-life events. I think the style of the book would make for a great interactive reading experience with kids.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fantastic readathon!! 1400 pages is amazing. And that vlog was super cute.. loved your chicken:)

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I just love the vlog! With the read-a-thon I didn't get to read that many blogs (actually, I think I read about 10 posts total)... You sure read a nice bunch of books, congrats!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

The chicken vlog was so awesome! I cracked up laughing when the music started :)

Great job with your reading and congrats on the amazing job you did for the Living Water charity.

mee said...

I can't resist to not drop any comment. I love the chicken! I have never held a chicken like that! <3

ps: I have Hugo Cabret just next to me. Not yet touched. I browsed through a bit and totally love the charcoal drawings too!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

You are too cute I just want to come up to Oregon and give you a big squeeze. I'm glad that Francisca decided not to peck at your face-that would have been really scary.

Had a blast, as usual Bethany. I don't think I could do one of these things without you!!