Monday, April 20, 2009

Patchwork Style

http://www.etsy.com/storque/media/bunker/2009/03/cover.jpg

Patchwork Style
35 Simple Projects for a Cozy and Colorful Life
by Suzuko Koseki
144 pages
Crafting, Patchwork, Quilts & Quilting
Trumpeter Books
14, April 2009

The blending and bonding together of different types of fabric gives a sweet and comfortable appeal to the patterns and designs in Suzuko Koseki's Patchwork Style. Each pattern, charming in its own way, brings together fabrics of solids and prints, designs and florals that will not hesitate to lighten up any room! As comfy and country as your impressions of quilting may be, be warned that although this is a quilting and patchwork book, it is certainly modern in is appeal, not your grandma's quilting. However, the idea of quilting is to embrace the past, the scraps we have left behind and want to incorporate into our future and Patchwork Style does that with a finesse that is truly noteworthy.

As for which patterns are included, there are quilt blanket patterns, patchwork purses, satchels and packs, change purses, pillow covers (which I need to make BADLY!), pot holders, floor mats, lap blankets, curtains and aprons. The lineup is sublime. Each chapter in Patchwork Style is set up by the techniques which are used that section. The chapters are broken up into different quilting methods, as follows: Log Cabin, Applique, Free Stitching and Patchwork Squares, and Square Applique. Each pattern has a picture (or more than one) where you can see what the finished product will look like, and then a page number at the back of the book with detailed instructions on how to create the masterpiece. Each pattern has step by step, along with illustrations on the project to get you through to completion.

I really love Patchwork Style! There is so much to learn. I have been quilting and sewing for a little while, and have family members who have quilted for decades, so I have certainly been around quilts and loved quilts and make patchwork designs of my own. Still the fresh and new patterns in this book are so welcomed, they are brilliant, fun to follow and put together. There are so many in here that I would love to make right now! So yes, I have a high opinion of this book for sure. I give this a double decker two thumbs up, no question about it.

Patchwork Style belongs of the Japanese Crafts Style books also known as Make Good: Crafts + Life, a group of books believing in the goal to simplify life. Another book that I have reviewed and also loved in this series is: Linen, Wool, Cotton by Akiko Mano

Are you a knitter, quilter, do you sew? If not, would you like to learn?



7 comments:

Tea said...

Thank you for the great review. I crochet and knit. I would love to learn how to quilt.

Darlene said...

This sounds great-nice cover too. I'd love to learn how to quilt. I've always been a knitter and crocheter since a kid and cross stitching is a passion. Somehow though, quilting just seems like such a comforting hobby and I'd like to make something that may be around for years. I've been thinking about pillow covers for sure. I have a few on my bed in dire need of something bright and new.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Thanks for the great review, this book looks really helpful. I can sew and crochet, but I will never be able to grasp knitting. Quilting is something I've been wanting to get into - I have been saving denim scraps for about 5 years now and I would like to make a giant quilted bedspread with them someday.

Anonymous said...

i'm not so crafty...but really love the cover of this book!! i wish i could sit still long enough to finish a craft, but i'm a bit ADD and can on sit still to read.

Valerie said...

I have been a quilter for several years now--but moving away from traditional quilting. This book looks like a good one for a beginner!

Elizabeth said...

I would love to learn to quilt. My grandma quilted - she would make 1 king-sized quilt (all by hand) every winter for all the years I can remember. Her work is beautiful, and I wish I could do something like it.

Stephanie said...

Ooh, sounds like a lovely book! I knit (badly, lol), crochet (so-so), and can do enough sewing to make my son shorts, pants and a few Halloween capes, but I would really, really love to expand my crafting skillz. ;)