Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Honesty BTT!

btt button

Suggested by JM:

I receive a lot of review books, but I have never once told lies about the book just because I got a free copy of it. However, some authors seem to feel that if they send you a copy of their book for free, you should give it a positive review.

Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?


should we look like this???
http://www.woostercollective.com/2007/01/07/ambel.jpg

It IS sad that we have come to disclaimers! I wrote an entire post on this subject just last week: Are you polite? Honest? Both? Let's talk. Is being polite more valued than honesty? I would say you can speak with honesty...and be polite at the same time. As critics, we book bloggers need to be able to take the heat for our reviews, but there is also a fine line where we need to be respected, and our opinions negative or positive should be fine with any author, publicist or family member of any of the before mentioned. Life it tough, get over the criticism, move on, grow from it! Sugar coated reviews are a thing of loathing, no one who writes reviews should say they liked something when they didn't, it would be completely unfair to their readership! I do understand that you can point out things that you liked about the book, but do not neglect to mention the things that bugged you...be HONEST your readers will appreciate it.

18 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I agree with you! Come see my answer.

Anonymous said...

I agree too! I don't think there's a point in reviewing books if you can't be honest about them, and polite too, of course!

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. Who wants to read a review full of fluff about a book they're thinking of spending their hard earned money on?

Beth F said...

I definitely agree. I've said almost the same things.

Anonymous said...

Honesty and politeness should go hand in hand!

Read my BTT post!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Mine's here

Anonymous said...

Politeness seems to be very underrated! It's critical we are honest with our assessments, but it's not fair or respectful to needlessly rip people to shreds! As intelligent reviewers, it shouldn't have to come to that! :) Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

bethany! you are tagged for a meme.. check out my blog!

Anonymous said...

I've had a "review policy" on my blog long before this whole discussion was brought up. It's cut down on the amount of books I receive that aren't within my chosen genre. It doesn't have to be "technical" but enough to take accountability on both sides.

Karen Harrington said...

Right on!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. It always makes me smile to see you there. And go girl on your NaNo novel. I think I'm at a point where I'm thinking of committing the writer's/soap opera deadly sin - introducing deadly weather to get the drama going again. :)

Jeane said...

Yes, I agree. What's the point of writing book reviews if you're not honest about it? But we also need to be polite- there's no reason to hurt others' feelings.

Robin M said...

I agree, as long as your polite about it and don't denigrate the author. Reviews are valuable to the readers. My post is up now.

Robin

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

well said. I completely agree that we can be honest and polite--or at least respectful.

Anonymous said...

Bethany :D :D ok i will comment on the post of course [ but i need to read it :D] this is to let you know that i tried Samosas yesterday LOL!

hhehehhe! I will post pics of it ok?! i can't find my cam cable :D ...but i will leave you a link ok?! and i will come back and read the posts ;) pls forgive me - i was so excited .... i needed to tell u this LOL!

Anonymous said...

Actually I have got lot to tell you ;D

She in her recipe says to add sooji right? I added that, and kept it for 20 minutes -- and it came out very hard [ the outter coating] it is generally really soft :)

So i called up one of my Aunties- who i remember really sis make - to ask for help

Now it really depends on the room temperature i guess-- dow much time u should keep it..

for me half an hour was not enough :(

And then when i cooked it the nxt time- i didn't add Sooji [ as per Aunty's instruction] and kept it for an hour more :D

AND it turned out much much better :D Actually mom said- it tasted much like the shop ones YAY! And remember that you need to add salt nicely- if it is less - it tastes really bland :D :D

I will be writing a post definitely :D

Anonymous said...

And the making of the dough is what is the most important thing- u need to do it for awhile- so that it becomes soft.

Anonymous said...

True to every word :)

NoBS said...

Here! Here! My connection was down Thurs. so I'm late to the game. Check out my response:

http://imemeit.blogspot.com/2008/11/booking-through-thursday-honesty.html