Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BTT: WHY BUY??

some of my books :)



btt button

I’ve asked, in the past, about whether you more often buy your books, or get them from libraries. What I want to know today, is, WHY BUY?

Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?

If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?


Oh I own most of them!! I love going to goodwill, and checking out their books. We live in a university town (GO BEAVES!!!) and so when the students are done with their books, and too lazy to go to sell them back they donate them to goodwill! Yay, tons of good novels, good reads and books are there for about $2.99 each!! Who could pass that up??

I love the library, but there is something about owning the book. However I use the library for tons of stuff, the kids can figure out which books they really like, and then we can buy them, they are into "Don't Let the Pigeon drive the Bus!!!!!" and "Harry the Dirty Dog" if we hadn't gone and checked them out at the lib, we wouldn't have known. I use it too for book club, we are blessed with the most amazing library...tons of new books! And they have book club bags. You can check out a bag with 10 books in it! I know that many of you proably have those too...but I'm just sayin', that is COOL!

However in all honesty since I started reviewing books on here I have bought very few of my own, and I NEVER buy new. I know...never say never and it is true because probably tomorrow I will decide I HAVE to have a book and buy it. Anyway, with so many review copies coming in, and the fun giveaways you all have....I am pretty overloaded right now. Even spending money on a book makes my stomach sick. I can't do it right now, I need to read what I have.

Anyway...KEEP READING that is all that really matters :)
Have a perfect Thursday.


37 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own all my books! I never thought about going to Goodwill for a book.

Anonymous said...

Well spoken! I buy from Sunday book Bazaar on the pavements!


Must buy!

Anonymous said...

I know that I couldn't -- and don't!

Alyce said...

I used to buy used books all the time (especially library sales) before I started blogging, now I have so many ARCs I don't need to buy more books.

My husband works at OSU and we're beaver fans too! It's nice to know there's another book blogger in the neighborhood!

jlshall said...

Yes, Goodwill is a great place for discovering used books. We don't have many used book stores nearby, but the local Goodwill store is wonderful.

Nice photos of your books!

Hazellie said...

Woww, your room looks so cozy and comfortable! And I love the 3 cats! =)

SmilingSally said...

It's obvious that you love books, and I enjoyed reading your post. Happy Thursday!

Lynda said...

I buy new books only occasionally now but, like you, hunt for second hand ones.
I also use the library a lot. I'm there at least once a week!

Anonymous said...

Your site looks WONDERFUL!

I want to go and read in your living room. I love the cat statues!

is your kitty a boy or a girl?

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I usually pick mine up by the box full at the annual library sale, so I have more books that I can possibly read (ever), but I still get them. I never use the library either. I love how nice and neat your books look! I have total book envy rightnow. :P

bermudaonion said...

I actually buy more books now that I blog. I used to use the library but now I don't like the time constraints involved, so I buy the books I want.

Beth F said...

I big buyer too! Thanks for the Goodwill tip.

Yvonne said...

Even though I'm reviewing, I still buy new books. I'm never ever going to catch up. I even cringe when I pay for the books, but it doesn't stop me from buying them. LOL

Anonymous said...

I still get books from thrift stores even though I don't need more books with all my ARCs, but I almost never buy new.

Karen Harrington said...

I never thought of going to Goodwill for books. Great idea! I keep most of my books, too, because I like to refer back to them when I'm writing. There's always some technique I admire in every book and it helps to go back and read the pages I marked up.

Anonymous said...

I haven't hit the Goodwill. I do frequent the used book shop and am obsessive about paperbackswap. I rarely buy new either.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Goodwill sold books!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, thanks for sharing the pictures! Your living room (?) looks like heaven! :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder how hard it would be to organize a book-blogger book swap?

CeeCee said...

Wish I lived in a place to look for good books. Even with ARCs I like the to hunt for good books where I can.

Elizabeth said...

Goodwill is one of my favorite book haunts - they get great stuff sometimes!

Anonymous said...

I actually find my goodwill stores are more expensive than the sales from bookstores. Price is a factor for me.

I love you pictures. Your shelves make me drool and you chair looks so comfy. :)

Susan said...

I love my local library "The George", but there is something to be said for having a book that belongs only to you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh your house looks so warm with all of your wonderful books. I could just curl up on your sofa, with a nice cup of tea, and read away to my hearts content.

Anonymous said...

Lots of books! Thanks for the tip about Goodwill...I will have to add that to my stops.

Madeleine said...

If I buy a book I go to "amazon market place" or my library who sale the books of which they have to many. $1.oo for trade paperbacks and $2.oo for hard backs, I recently bought 3 trade paperbacks by Gerard Woodward:
"A CURIOUS EARTH"
"AUGUST"
"I'LL GO TO BED AT NOON" (shortlisted for THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2004)
Has anyone heard of those books?

Happy Thursday Bethany

Anonymous said...

awesome pictures..:) though i don't like to own too many books, i like the look and feel of your living room!:) and i had no idea we could get books at goodwill.. should check that out sometime!

Mary Beth said...

We used to go to the Montclair Women's Book Sale - $1 for a bag of books. I used to get A LOT of books in one bag. Thank goodness I come from parents who encourage this madness:)

Amy said...

I love getting books at thrift stores too! I rarely buy a brand new book.

Book Lover Lisa said...

Wow, your library sounds great. I am less than impressed with the one here. (unreasonable fines, small library) I never buy new either. There are so many places you can get second hand books, and they can look nearly as good as new books, so why spend the extra money.

Kat said...

Your place looks amazing. Mine's a jumble of books and stuff hehe.

I really can't resist buying books. I'm hoping that the library system here would improve so that I can borrow more, mostly to "try" new books and buy them for my collection if I liked them. Happy BTT!

My take on "Why Buy?"

Anonymous said...

Well! I buy all my books, I don't have a choice.. one thing I dnt get books :) and 2nd I have not checked the Library yet... and I doubt if I will find a cool one here!

Mostly if they are old books - I get them on the pavements - paperbacks !

but once in a while I do goto bookstores to buy..

I buy ALL my books mostly from flipkart.com! They deliver it on the 2nd day :)

Alea said...

Love the pictures! I'm all about cheap books too, it's really hard to pass up a book for 1.00 or 50 cents! Our library has the book club bags too! Too bad I'm not actually in a book club!

Bellezza said...

I'd love to live in a college town. I'd love to buy all my books like you. Sometimes, the reason I don't is because I run out of space before I run out of money.

Anonymous said...

Your living room looks so friendly.

When I buy new books, they are on the clearance bin. I figure it doesn't count that way.

Laura said...

What a cozy living room! I also rarely buy new books--it is so nice to find great books for a couple of dollars!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous living room. I'm inspired!