Thursday, April 17, 2008

vocabulary!!

btt button

Suggested by Nithin:

Q: I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?

A: Uhm, yes I am the breeze-right-through-it person. I try to figure it out by context, but I am too lazy to look words up in a dictionary! I tend to not really even think twice about it if I don't get it, then I don't get it...no worries.

I actually know someone who does sit there with a dictionary and he literally stops every couple of pages even if he knows what the word means, but it interested in the dictionary definition of it!!! That is my hubby, not me. I am the opposite.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to keep right on reading, too. It sounds like way too much work to stop every few pages!

Anonymous said...

Yep, novel reading is FUN to me...dictionary reading? not so much.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way -- I either blaze right through and get it from context, or forget about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a breezer like you... But you and your husband sound like a great balance!

LisaMM said...

skip, skip, skip.. that's me!

Anonymous said...

Me, too...I'm lazy, and I don't want to interrupt the flow of the story.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

There have been some that I've read in the past with a dictionary very close, but I think my vocabulary has gotten stronger. When I was studying for the GRE I had 3 spirals full of vocab words that I learned and see pretty frequently. But other than that...too lazy! :)

gautami tripathy said...

Appearing for GRE or GMAT is a great way to improve vocabulary!

Here is my BTT post!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*jan- yes, me too...well I guess I already told you that..haha.

*mrs.b- hahah! that is a good one!

*shereadsbooks- yes, there is no other way for me!

*writer2b- we definitely are a balance, it is a very good thing.

*lisamm- oh, yes I do relate!!!

*softdrink- lazy, or in the purest form of concentration...who really knows right!?

*trish-Yes, I think we learn as we go, and the larger our vocab gets, the less we have to look up! true, very true.

*gautami tripathy- yes, maybe I should do that...