Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday Salon!- bookie times





I just got home from a really good book club meeting (our book club called Pretty Paper...oh it is fun!) We read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy last month, and our book for this coming month is Town House by Tish Cohen. We try to switch back and forth from light to heavy read, some lighter than others, some heavier. Anyway, it is such a nice time to get together with friends and blab about our latest favourite characters, and least favourite! I love it.

This last week I read Farmworker's Daughter by Rose Castillo Gibault, which I will excitedly review later on today during the Sunday Salon. I just started The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, which I have been entranced by. I have seriously just started it, but the writing so far truly has captured my eyes. I know this will sound funny, but I had never really heard of this author until a couple of days ago at someone's book blog giveaway! I see that there is a following though! Okay...off to bed. I need sleep, I will post another Sunday Salon post tomorrow after the sun rises...or a bit after that.

5 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Eeks. I've never heard of Haruki Murakami either! I tend to do the same thing with my reading--oscillate between heavy and light (or sometimes light and lighter!). If I read too many "heavy" books I get burned out.

Anonymous said...

Wind Up Bird Chronicle is an incredible read. There are just so many surprises.

Anonymous said...

This Townhouse book looks divine. I'm going to investigate... ;)

Iliana said...

So glad you've discovered Murakami! Well, I've only read two of his books but loved them. I just read your review of Farmworker's Daughter and that sounds like a good one. Happy Sunday Salon!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*trish- I know! I am very excited to find new and amazing authors. Yes, I do get definite burn out if I read to many heavy books right next to eachother!

* beastmomma- yes, so far I am loving it...I love the way it is written, so human.

*mrs b. - Oh, Town House!!! Yes, I need to read that one for my book club, I am so excited to pick it up, I'll let you know how it goes. (; Tell me if you read it too...we can compare notes!

*iliana- me too!!!which of his books did you read!? Yes, Farmworker's Daughter was a great book...just right for me right now. loved it.