Thursday, April 3, 2008

How are you starting off the OT challenge!?


I am starting off the challenge with a book that I am reviewing for Heyday Books. It is called Farmworker's Daughter and it is the memoir of a girl born in Mexico, but raised in the US. I was not thrilled about starting an international challenge in the US...since the point of the challenge is to get out of here and voyage elsewhere (well, depending on where you live I guess...but since I live here!). But I had already started this book, and really needed/wanted to keep reading it. So yes, it is a beautiful book. I am about 70 pages into it (as the weather has been too tempting to me lately *sunshine*!) oh, but it is a beautiful story of perseverance, family, relationships and growing up unlike those around you...I'll post a review when I've finished.

Where have you started your Orbis Terrarum journey?? Are you enjoying it so far?

6 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Sounds like an interesting perspective nontheless. We have a very large hispanic population in Texas--especially further south where my husband is from. When we go down there (near Brownsville) we are the minority, which is so different from where I grew up.

I'm reading A Long Way Gone (Sierra Leone). Not a very happy book, but very interesting...

jonah and becky lang said...

This comment has nothing to do with your post, so sorry- I just wanted to tell you that I just finished the hiding place (actually I should say I just started and finished since I read it in one afternoon). It was amazing and challenging on so many levels. I would say it is on my top ten best books I have EVER read. WOW. I am going to read the book you lent me next, so think about another book you think I might like!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I haven't started my journey yet. I'm awaiting a couple of selections from the library. A Long Way Gone could be my first or maybe Elie Weisel's Night. We shall see...
I'm leaving it up to the library gods.

Anonymous said...

Ooo! I don't know, this is the first I have heard of the challenge. I am excited to be hearing about it early enough to jump in though! Hmm, andI was just reading and reminiscing about Interpreter of Maladies yesterday -maybe something else by her?

Anonymous said...

I started with The Kite Runner in Afghanistan, finished it in three days. Couldn't finish it faster because of work and other "stuff" distracting me from reading. I am now in Russia for my second book for the challenge. I am having a great time, so far!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

*trish- yes, a very good perspective, I love kid perspectives on things...just deep, but not caloused and bitter yet...they are dreamers!

* becky lang- yes, books...take your pick! (come over and look)

*mrs b.- Oh, books...libraries..all great words to hear! I have Night that I want to read, it is super short which also is motivating somehow...

*oakling- welcome!! yes, interpreter of maladies is one of my all time favourites!! I can't wait until I find the new one used...it will be a while, but I have such a hard time spending the full $20.00 on one book!! uuuu, that hurts!

*myrthe- WOW!! Three days, that is fast!! I want to know if you liked it! I'll check out your blog, but post us a link if you posted any reviews yet...it is fun to travel all around together!!