Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Vanishing Moon



Title: The Vanishing Moon
Author: Joseph Coulson
Pages: 330
Yearly Count: 42
(5 for july blowout)

I know that a book is extremely well written when I have no interest in the subject matter prior to picking up the book, but as soon as I read the first page the author grips me. The Vanishing Moon is a novel of individuals and their effects on each other. The choices that are made cause all of those close by to suffer or enjoy depending on the choice. I loved this book. The writing is superb. Joseph Coulson puts together words to make sentences that poor the feeling onto the pages so that the reader can slurp it all up. Coulson is incredible, this is his first novel, and I am a true believer!

The Vanishing Moon is about one family, the Tollmans, and those they come in contact with over three generations. Spanning from the time of the Depression and World War to the times of hippies and the Vietnam War. Stephen, the middle brother is the main protagonist. So much happens in this book, and I'd hate to give anything away, but know this: life does not take it easy on the Tollmans, but their resiliency should astonish anyone. This is a story of suffering, pride, family ties (and the lack of them), love, love lost and most of all personal battles and their effects on their family.

The character development is the major punch in this one, and that is how it should be (according to me).Each person is defined and described, so that the reader truly feels completely connected. It really amazed me that Coulson really told a story, a well developed, deep tale that, I believe, will not be overlooked. Anyone can write about what I am interested in, and since I already care I am motivated to read it. But to introduce me to something that I didn't know I cared about until Coulson wrote it, that shows talent. This book was meant to be a classic, really it is that good. The Vanishing Moon, by Joseph Coulson comes with my highest recommendation. I loved it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review. It's a great feeling when you read something you don't really think you're interested in and as it ends up you are. I will definitely keep a look out for this book. I like the cover on this one, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm bookmarking your review, Bethany. The book sounds great. I know what you mean about authors drawing you in, in spite of initial lack of interest. Very impressive when that happens.

Tricia said...

This sounds really interesting. Great review. I'm a little worried I might find it a little depressing. I may have to wait until I'm in the right mood.

beastmomma said...

With all the great books you have read, for something to get your highest recommendation, it must be fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review! I'll be putting this one on my TBR list.

Darlene said...

Thanks for the great review of this novel Bethany. It sounds very interesting-one more for the list for sure. I love books that can draw you in like that and leave you knowing you just read something brilliant.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Character development is big for me as well! I can't remember the last book that I read that I was completely gripped from the start--probably The Book Thief, which I read in January. I'll have to put this on the list! Great review. :)

Corinne said...

You convinced me. It's on my TBR list because as much as I love plot and character, its good WRITING that gets me :)

Debi said...

Wow...you definitely sold me!

KWolfAK said...

Wow! You are a serious book reader! I'm here visiting from Ronda's Rants.